- The Obama years show liberalism to be exhausted, its ideas out of date and its advocates living in an imagined past. Compare this to Martin Luther King’s 1955 evocation of the eternal verities of charity, justice, tolerance, open-mindedness, and dignity:
And we are not wrong; we are not wrong in what we are doing. . . . If we are wrong, the Constitution of the United States is wrong. If we are wrong, God Almighty is wrong. If we are wrong, Jesus of Nazareth was merely a utopian dreamer that never came down to Earth. If we are wrong, justice is a lie, love has no meaning.
And we are determined . . . to work and fight until justice runs down like water, and righteousness like a mighty stream.
- Trump represent a shift away from the self-serving ways of Washington.
- Business is a model of efficiency for government. Privatization is the key to economic success.
- Betsy DeVos’s only sin is caring too much about helping poor kids escape the public schools. The nasty campaign against her reeks of political desperation as public school teachers try to save their doomed jobs.
- Afro Americans should have completely rejected Obama because he did more to keep them in poverty and a state of hostility toward dominant white culture than any other President. The only reason they voted for him was because he appeared to them as a good man, taking care of his family.
- The “deplorables” aren’t so bad, once you get to know them. They’re great for talking about wrenches, football, and Chick-fil-A.
- Trump has at times lead an indecorous life, but his indiscretions don’t matter so long as he delivers economic growth and defeats ISIS.